University of Michigan – Ann Arbor, 1990, M.D.
University of Michigan – Ann Arbor, 1987, B.S.
- Molecular and cell biology of gastrointestinal cancer
- Genetic and epigenetic alterations in cancer
- Cancer biomarkers
- Hereditary cancer syndromes
- Clinical management of gastrointestinal cancer family syndromes
- Colon cancer prevention
- Barrett’s esophagus
- ColoCare cohort study: Prospective cohort study of people with colorectal cancer. The goal of the study is to identify factors (lifestyle, molecular features of the cancer, etc) that affect prognosis.
- GLNE010: A validation and comparison of biomarkers for the early detection of colorectal adenocarcinoma. Using a population of 6000 participants at 10-20 sites across the US and Canada, this study will validate stool, serum and urine biomarkers for colorectal cancer. The biomarker test results are compared to clinical screening or surveillance colonoscopy to see if they can detect adenomas >1cm, high grade dysplasia and adenocarcinoma.
- Detection of rare mutant alleles in plasma: Development of novel molecular methods to develop a blood test to identify malignant pancreatic tumors
Laboratory based studies:
- Identify and Validate Novel Epigenetic Molecular Markers for Colorectal Neoplasm
- Genetic Determinants of Barrett’s Esophagus and Esophageal Adenocarcinoma
- Novel Biomarkers for the Prevention and Treatment of Colon Cancer