Mariners pitcher Felix Hernandez is among 10 Major League Baseball players in the running for the 48th annual Hutch Award. One of the finalists on the list recently released by the nominating committee will receive the honor at the annual Hutch Award Luncheon at Safeco Field Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2013. Baseball icon Lou Piniella will give the keynote address. All proceeds from the event will benefit the Center's early cancer detection research.
This year's nominees are:
- Alex Gordon, Kansas City Royals
- Felix Hernandez, Seattle Mariners
- Ryan Ludwick, Cincinnati Reds
- Brandon McCarthy, Oakland Athletics
- Logan Morrison, Miami Marlins
- Jake Peavy, Chicago White Sox
- Dan Uggla, Atlanta Braves
- Rickie Weeks, Milwaukee Brewers
- Ryan Zimmerman, Washington Nationals
- Barry Zito, San Francisco Giants
A vote by all surviving Hutch Award recipients will determine the winner. A total of 47 players have won the honor since Mickey Mantle accepted the inaugural Hutch Award in 1965. Baseball Hall-of-Famers Sandy Koufax, Carl Yastrzemski, Willie McCovey and Lou Brock were early recipients; more recent awardees include Craig Biggio, Jon Lester, Tim Hudson and Billy Butler.
Each year the Hutch Award goes to a major league player who exemplifies the honor, courage and dedication of legendary baseball player and manager Fred Hutchinson, for whom the Center is named.
For more information about the Hutch Award or to register for the January luncheon, visit www.fhcrc.org/hutchaward.