Ph.D., University of Washington, Epidemiology, 1996.
M.P.H., Yale University, Epidemiology, 1991.
My major research focus is on the molecular epidemiology of viruses, especially HPV, and our immune response to them that may be associated with cancer development and prognosis. I am also interested in the role that chronic subclinical immune disregulation (such as occurs with age, obesity, hormone fluctuation, and UV exposure) and sex differences may play in carcinogenesis.
1. Madeleine MM, Johnson LG, Doody DR, Tipton ER, Carter JJ, Galloway DA. Natural Antibodies to HPV16 and Recurrence of Vulvar High-Grade Intraepithelial Neoplasia (VIN3). J Lower Anogenital Tract Dis. 2016; 20(3):257-260. PMCID: PMC4920724
2. Buas MF, He Q, Johnson LG, Onstad L, Levine DM, Thrift AP, Risch HA, Chow W-H, Liu G, Fitzgerald RC, Bernstein L, Ye W, Bird NC, Romero Y, Casson AG, Corley DA, Shaheen NJ, Wu AH, Gammon MD, Hardie LJ, Murray L, Whiteman DC, Vaughan TL, Madeleine MM. Germline variation in inflammation-related pathways and risk of Barrett’s esophagus and esophageal adenocarcinoma. Gut. 2016 Aug 2 [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27486097
3. Hardikar S, Johnson LG, Malkki M, Petersdorf EW, Galloway DA, Schwartz SM, Madeleine MM. A population-based case-control study of genetic variation in cytokine genes associated with risk of cervical and vulvar cancers.2015;139:90-96. Gynecol Oncol. 2015; 139(1):90-6. PMCID: PMC4587291
4. Coghill AE, Johnson LG, Berg D, Resler AJ, Leca N, Madeleine MM. Immunosuppressive Medications and Squamous Cell Skin Carcinoma: Nested Case-Control Study within the Skin Cancer after Organ Transplant (SCOT) Cohort. Am J Transplant. 2016; 16(2):565-73. PMID: 26824445
5. Madeleine MM, Carter JJ, Johnson LG, Wipf GC, Davis C, Berg D, Nelson K, Daling JR, Schwartz SM, Galloway DA. Risk of squamous cell skin cancer after organ transplant associated with antibodies to cutaneous papillomaviruses, polyomaviruses, and TMC6/8 (EVER1/2) variants. Cancer Med. 2014; 3(5):1440-7. PMCID: PMC4302694
6. Madeleine MM, Finch FL, Goodman MT, Engels EA. HPV-Related Cancers after Solid Organ Transplantation in the U.S. Am J Transplant. 2013; 13(12):3202-9. PMCID: PMC4049182
7. Madeleine MM, Johnson LG, Malkki M, Resler AJ, Petersdorf EW, McKnight B, Malone KE. Genetic variation in proinflammatory cytokines IL6, IL6R, TNF-region, and TNFRSF1A and risk of breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011; 129(3):887-99. PMCID: PMC3164911
8. Madeleine MM, Johnson LG, Smith AG, Hanson JA, Nisperos BB, Li S, Zhao LP, Daling JR, Schwartz SM, Galloway DA. Comprehensive Analysis of HLA-A, HLA-B, HLA-C, HLA-DRB1, and HLA-DQB1 loci and squamous cell cervical cancer risk. Cancer Res. 2008; 68(9):3532-9. PMCID: PMC2662593
9. Insigna R, Liaw KL, Johnson LG, Madeleine MM. A Systematic Review of the Prevalence and Attribution of Human Papillomavirus Types Among Cervical, Vaginal and Vulvar Pre-cancers and Cancers in the US. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2008; 17(7):1611-22. PMCID: PMC2587113
10. Madeleine MM, Anttila T, Schwartz SM, Saikku P, Leionen M, Carter JJ, Wurscher M, Johnson LG, Galloway DA, Daling JR. Risk of cervical cancer associated with Chlamydia trachomatis antibodies by histology, HPV type, and HPV cofactors. Int J Cancer. 2007; 120(3): 650-5. PMCID: PMC4049152