Fellowship, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, Surgical Oncology, 1994.
Residency, University of Colorado, General Surgery, 1992.
M.D., Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1985.
Dr. Anderson’s is an internationally recognized leader in global cancer control. With joint appointments at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Division of Public Health Sciences and the UW Department of Global Health, Dr. Anderson created in 2002 and continues to chair the Breast Health Global Initiative (BHGI), a unique program to develop “resource-stratified” guidelines for breast cancer early detection, diagnosis, treatment and palliative care in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs). In 2011 the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) awarded Dr. Anderson their Partners in Progress Award and in 2013 the National Consortium of Breast Centers (NCBC) awarded him their 2013 Inspiration Award, recognizing his dedicated efforts to improve the quality and effectiveness of breast cancer care around the globe. Since 2012, Dr. Anderson has served on the Board of Directors of the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC). Dr. Anderson now co-chairs the Breast Cancer Initiative 2.5 (BCI2.5), a global campaign to reduce disparities in breast cancer outcomes for 2.5 million women between now and 2025.
As director of the Breast Health Clinic at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA), Dr. Anderson is Professor of Surgery and Global Health Medicine at the University of Washington (UW). Dr. Anderson’s clinical practice is devoted to the care of patients with breast health issues and breast cancer. Since 2005 he has published on novel surgical techniques in oncoplastic breast surgery, procedures that simultaneously improve oncologic and cosmetic outcomes in breast conservation surgery. Dr. Anderson is past-president of the American Society of Breast Disease (ASBD) and currently serves as vice chair of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) Breast Panel and chair of the NCCN International Program Committee.
More biographical information can be found at: http://www.uwmedicine.org/bios/benjamin-anderson
1. Anderson BO, Yip CH, Smith RA, Shyyan R, Sener SF, Eniu A, Carlson RW, Azavedo E, Harford J. Guideline implementation for breast healthcare in low-income and middle-income countries: overview of the Breast Health Global Initiative Global Summit 2007. Cancer. 2008; 113(8 Suppl):2221-43. PMID: 18816619
2. Anderson BO, Cazap E, El Saghir NS, Yip CH, Khaled HM, Otero IV, Adebamowo CA, Badwe RA, Harford JB. Optimisation of breast cancer management in low-resource and middle-resource countries: executive summary of the Breast Health Global Initiative consensus, 2010. Lancet Oncol. 2011; 12(4):387-98. PMID: 21463833
3. Tsu VD, Jeronimo J, Anderson BO. Why the time is right to tackle breast and cervical cancer in low-resource settings. Bull World Health Organ. 2013; 91(9):683-90. PMCID: PMC3790214
4. Ilbawi AM, Anderson BO. Global cancer consortiums: moving from consensus to practice. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015; 22(3):719-27. PMID: 25623597
5. Distelhorst SR, Cleary JF, Ganz PA, Bese N, Camacho-Rodriguez R, Cardoso F, Ddungu H, Gralow JR, Yip CH, Anderson BO; Breast Health Global Initiative Global Summit on Supportive Care and Quality of Life Consensus Panel Members. Optimisation of the continuum of supportive and palliative care for patients with breast cancer in low-income and middle-income countries: executive summary of the Breast Health Global Initiative, 2014. Lancet Oncol. 2015; 16(3): e137-47. PMID: 25752564
6. Ilbawi AM, Anderson BO. Cancer in global health: How do prevention and early detection strategies relate? Sci Transl Med. 2015; 7(278):278cm1. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25761886)
7. DeSantis CE, Bray F, Ferlay J, Lortet-Tieulent J, Anderson BO, Jemal A. International Variation in Female Breast Cancer Incidence and Mortality Rates. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2015; 24(10):1495-506. PMID: 26359465
8. Sullivan R, Alatise OI, Anderson BO, Audisio R, Autier P, Aggarwal A, Balch C, Brennan MF, Dare A, D'Cruz A, Eggermont AM, Fleming K, Gueye SM, Hagander L, Herrera CA, Holmer H, Ilbawi AM, Jarnheimer A, Ji JF, Kingham TP, Liberman J, Leather AJ, Meara JG, Mukhopadhyay S, Murthy SS, Omar S, Parham GP, Pramesh CS, Riviello R, Rodin D, Santini L, Shrikhande SV, Shrime M, Thomas R, Tsunoda AT, van de Velde C, Veronesi U, Vijaykumar DK, Watters D, Wang S, Wu YL, Zeiton M, Purushotham A. Global cancer surgery: delivering safe, affordable, and timely cancer surgery. Lancet Oncol. 2015; 16(11):1193-224. PMID: 26427363
9. Murillo R, Díaz S, Perry F, Poveda C, Piñeros M, Sánchez O, Buitrago L, Gamboa O, Lozano T, Yu H, Wang CY, Duggan C, Thomas DB, Anderson BO. Increased breast cancer screening and downstaging in Colombian women: A randomized trial of opportunistic breast-screening. Int J Cancer. 2016; 138(3):705-13. PMID: 26264446