$1500 course scholarships (or the cost of the course, whichever is less) are available twice per year to subsidize the cost of coursework that will benefit the career goals of FHCRC postdocs and graduate students.
- The course can be on any subject, but applicants need to justify why the course cannot be taken as part of their regular training.
- Application deadlines fall in July and January.
Please note that there may be tax implications to receiving this award. If you receive a SPAC Scholarship, the amount of the award may be added to the total wages for your W2 tax form. In addition, you may need to pay Social Security Tax, which is 7.65% of the amount of the award. This Social Security tax may be deducted from your next month's paycheck after you spend the award.
For further information contact Karen Peterson.
Conference Travel Awards up to $1500 are available to graduate students, postdoctoral and medical fellows who would like to attend a conference but don't have the funds available.
Criteria for Award:
- The applicant must be a Fred Hutch affiliated graduate student, postdoc or medical fellow for at least the past 6 months.
- The applicant must present a poster or talk at the conference.
- It is preferable to present research at the conference that has been conducted at the FHCRC.
To apply for the Award:
- Submit a cover letter that states which conference you wish to attend and what you hope to achieve by attending this conference. State how attending will help you progress in your career.
- Submit the abstract that has been or will be submitted to the conference. Be sure to comply with the word limit as specified by the conference. Additionally, include information about where this research was conducted. Your current principle investigator should be on the abstract.
- Submit a letter of recommendation from your principle investigator (PI). The letter should include confirmation of any lack of funding for travel and conference attendance.
- Submit a description of the conference (flyer or copy of application).
- Submit a table with detailed costs of the registration fee, room and board, and transportation.
- List all of the conferences that you have attended during your tenure at the FHCRC, including the month and year.
- State whether you are a graduate student, postdoctoral or medical fellow and what year (eg. 3rd year Postdoc). Include how long you have been in your current position (e.g., if you are a 3rd year postdoc, but this is your first year in this particular lab).
- State whether you have applied to other travel awards to help finance the cost of travel and when you might hear about receiving the other awards.
- State whether you have ever received a SPAC Travel Award during your tenure at the FHCRC.
Note that you can only receive one travel award during your tenure at the FHCRC.
Note that international travel must be completed on a US carrier unless you have a waiver from the Finance Department. Your flight must be booked through the FHCRC Travel Agent.
Please note that there may be tax implications to receiving this award. If you receive a SPAC Travel Award, the amount of the award may be added to the total wages for your W2 tax form. In addition, you may need to pay Social Security Tax, which is 7.65% of the amount of the award. This Social Security tax may be deducted from your next month's paycheck after you spend the award.
There will be two offerings a year with 3 awards available per offering. Deadlines for Abstract submission are November 1 and March 15. Awards are determined by November 15 and April 1. Please send applications to Karen Peterson at mail-stop C3-168.