Career Opportunities

New Employees

Check-In Upon Arrival

Upon your arrival to the Seattle area, please contact the Immigration Services team to schedule a time to meet. The Immigration Services team is located in the Human Resources office on the Fred Hutch Day Campus in the Yale Building.

Street Address: 823 Yale Avenue North, Suite J1-101, Seattle, WA 98109

[ TOP ]

Social Security Number

A Social Security Number (SSN) is a unique, 9-digit taxpayer identification number used for taxpayer identification, income reporting, and record-keeping purposes. The Social Security Administration (SSA) issues numbers to all U.S. citizens and permanent residents and to eligible foreign nationals. Eligibility to apply for a social security number is dependent on one's eligibility for employment in the U.S.

You must be physically present in the U.S. in an immigration classification that allows for employment and you must have a job or an offer of employment to apply for a Social Security Card.

Application for a Social Security Card to the Social Security Administration in person on any business day (except holidays) between the hours of 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM. The nearest Social Security Administration Office to the Center and SCCA is located at 901 Lenora Street, Suite 100, Seattle, WA 98121.

Bring the following documents with you:

  1. A completed Application for a Social Security Card (SS-5). The application form is available on-line or at the Social Security Administration office
  2. Un-expired foreign passport with U.S. Visa (Canadian nationals do not need a U.S. Visa).
  3. Original USCIS I-94 Departure card (small white card stapled into passport)
  4. All of the supporting documentation below (depending on immigration status):
    • J-1 Exchange Visitors: All SEVIS Form(s) DS-2019
    • J-2 Dependents (who have received an Employment Authorization Card from the USCIS): All SEVIS Form(s) DS-2019 and Employment Authorization Document (EAD).
    • TN employees: I-94 card and Job offer letter from the Center or SCCA
    • H-1B, O-1, or E-3 employees: All I-797 Approval Notice(s)

In most cases, a Social Security Card should be mailed to the address you listed on your application form within 14 business days. If you do not receive a Social Security Card within 30-60 days, you should contact the Social Security Administration via telephone at 1-800-772-1213 or visit the Social Security Administration website to inquire about the status of your pending application.

[ TOP ]

Driver’s License

The Washington State Department of Licensing (DOL) requires Washington Residents to have a Washington driver's license even if the resident possesses a valid international driver's license.

The DOL requires a written test and a road test. No appointment is necessary for the written test, but an appointment and car are required for the road test. A US Social Security Number is not needed to apply for a driver's license. Under current law, a temporary license will be issued pending USCIS confirmation of the applicant's I-94 status in the US.

For the nearest DOL, please visit their website.

[ TOP ]

State Identification Card

The DMV will issue a non-driver's State Identification Card for non-drivers. This is a very convenient form of identification, since the passport is not always recognized for local transactions. The same documents are needed as if applying for a driver's license and USCIS will have to confirm I-94 status in the USA.

[ TOP ]